And by “easy”, I mean you don’t need to change your diet, increase your workouts, change your sleep, or anything else like that.
So what exactly am I talking about?
Castor oil packs!
A castor oil pack is a piece of wool or a cloth soaked in castor oil so you can apply it on the skin.
What Castor Oil Packs Can Help:
Because castor oil packs are great for liver detoxification, it helps a wide variety of health conditions, including:
- Sleep issues
- Bloating and weight loss
- PCOS and uterine fibroids
- Constipation and digestion
- Muscle or joint aches and pains
- Skin rashes/issues and hair loss
- Trouble sleeping, anxiety and depression
- Cortisol, thyroid and other hormone imbalances
- Abdominal pain
Where to get a Castor Oil Pack
You can make your own castor oil packs or purchase a kit. Personally, I prefer the easy route and purchased a kit.
The kit that I love is the Queen of Thrones Castor Oil Pack because it comes with a big compress that ties onto your body that holds all the oil creating less of a mess, plus it has its own pouch so you can store it easily. Additionally, you don’t have to apply heat to it like you do others.
If you prefer to make your own, you can buy castor oil on Amazon and search Google for instructions on how to create your own. Just know that these are typically messier than the one I am recommending.
How to do a Castor Oil Pack
- Pour about 2 tablespoons of castor oil onto the center of your castor oil compress, carefully avoiding seams
- Fold the compress to help spread the castor oil
- Apply the compress onto the desired area of your body – the most common place is over the liver, which is under the right rib cage; this area covers many of the digestive organs, including the stomach, the pancreas, the small intestine, large intestine, adrenals, and kidneys. This also includes the omentum and all the many lymph nodes located in this area. You can also apply it in other areas where you are feeling inflamed.
- Leave it on for an hour or overnight – enjoy the relaxation it gives you because it stimulates dopamine (our feel-good neurotransmitter) and oxytocin (our love and attachment hormone).
- Once you’re done, wipe the oil off the skin, put the pouch away, and continue about your day!
To start, I recommend wearing it for no more than an hour at a time a few days a week. Because it aids in detoxification, leaving it on too long initially could lead to some symptoms of detox – fatigue, nausea, etc.
After you’ve done that for a couple of weeks, you can increase to daily and even start wearing it overnight. The creator of the castor oil pack I use recommends wearing it daily for the greatest benefit.
I also like doing it at night because it helps relax me and puts me into a deep sleep.
It’s different for everyone! Some people notice the physical benefits – relaxation – within minutes of putting it on. For others, it can take time to notice the benefits. It is often working “behind the scenes” so you may not always see an immediate benefit.
Cautions With Castor Oil
There are a few cautions to note when it comes to castor oil, namely:
- Test a small amount of castor oil on your skin before doing a full pack to ensure you don’t have a reaction to the castor oil. If you don’t have one after 24 hours, you should be good to go.
- Avoid using castor oil packs if you’re pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Don’t heat a castor oil pack in the microwave. The cloth and oil can smoke or catch on fire.
- Don’t use castor oil packs on a recent injury or on open or irritated skin, such as scratches or cuts that are healing.
If you have more questions about castor oil packs and whether they are right for you, I recommend checking out this FAQ page.
Now that you know more about castor oil packs and the great benefits of them, give them a try and see how you like them!
Yours In Health,